Tuesday, April 8, 2008

To Ottawa, Or Not To Ottawa?

"Don't despair over the training disruptions. It could still happen. And even if it doesn't happen this time around, just remember it isn't supposed to be easy. Go to Ottawa and give it all you have, take what you get in return, and rejoice for another round of valuable experience whatever the outcome." --Verna Troutman, email to me 4/2/08

"You're in a good spot right now and you'll be ready to run a great race when the time comes. You're in the best shape of your life. That should make you smile."-
-Vince, email to me 4/5/08


"The question should be, is it worth trying to do, not can it be done."
--Allard Lowenstein, and quoted to me in an email from Vince 4/6/08

I'd been waffling on running Ottawa or not. Funny that Vince would pick that Lowenstein quote for me this weekend, because I did not mention that I was seriously thinking about not running Ottawa. But, what a perfect conclusion to my thoughts. It is worth trying to do.

I'm now convinced I will run Ottawa. I'd be a fool not to. Here's this great opportunity in front of me. How on earth would I talk to myself if I just gave up and didn't run? What if I can do it? What if I can qualify? Maybe I'll even surprise myself. I'll never know until I pour myself out on May 25th. It's not impossible. It's just... going to be difficult.


I feel great lately, stronger than I've ever felt. I know I'm in better shape than I was for Olathe and Lewis & Clark just last year, though my training is radically different. I have much less focus on just miles and long runs, and a much greater focus on quality miles, more frequent runs and higher overall weekly mileage. In some ways, that's scary (the longest run I've had is 16 miles). In others, well, it makes sense. I would like to have more time, but I do not.


Whether I make my goal for a BQ here in six short weeks has yet to be determined. I do, have the opportunity to make Ottawa my best marathon yet. And that, at the very least, is what I intend to do. If you're running Ottawa this year, see you there!

No comments: